Why Your Forehead is Key for Sleep Tracking
The head has long been considered the most crucial area to track sleep. Whether you are having a polysomnography (PSG) done in a sleep lab or are looking to measure nasal airflow, any professional sleep study will include various wires and sensors attached to your face and head.
A full PSG can consist of 8 channels that measure physical sleep signals which include heart rate, O2 saturation, breathing rate, airflow and body position. These signals allow the sleep technicians to gain a better understanding of your sleep quality and help you optimize your rest each night.
Sleep tracking at home
A majority of sleep tracking is done in laboratories, because the patient can be monitored to ensure that the tracking devices remain on his head. On average, 20% of all sleep studies done at home fail because the subject will change his body position, which causes the tracking devices to detach.
Also, many subjects will subconsciously pull the devices off of their head while they are sleeping. This is the body’s natural reaction when something bothers it on their head.
Why we designed the Snooor wearable for your forehead
The Snooor wearable was specifically designed to be placed on your forehead before sleeping for a number of reasons, each with its own benefit:
- It’s an almost flat surface, which helps ensure the wearable will stick easily and remain adhered throughout the night.
- There is no need to shave the forehead area to keep the device secured to the skin.
- The tight, thin skin keeps the device both secure and centered.
- The forehead provides easy access, so that all you need to do is place it there before going to bed, and quickly remove it in the morning.
- It doesn’t interact with your pillow or blanket, which limits the possibility of removal during the night.
- You don’t sleep on your forehead, so there is no disruption to the device during sleep.
The Snooor wearable weighs just under 10 grams and comes with a sticker that easily holds it in place on your forehead for up to 8 hours. All you need to do is remove the backing of the sticker, turn the wearable on and place it on the forehead right before going to bed.